Monday, September 7, 2020

Cruel Seas and Airbrush Tutorial

 My Friend AJ of AJ’s Wargaming Blog came to visit yesterday to give me some pointers on airbrush techniques and maintenance. After the airbrush tutorial we had a game of Warlord’s Cruel Seas. It was a nail biting, good old fashioned Donnybrook between my Kriegsmarine force and AJ’s Royal Navy flotilla including an American Elco pressed into British service. 

AJ gives you a blow-by-blow account and shows some game pics HERE. As AJ points out, the real winner was the English Channel as 7 out of the 10 boats/ships engaged were sunk during the battle!

I had forgotten how fun Cruel Seas can be.  It is fast paced and there are many tactical decisions to make during a game.  Each skipper has to think a turn or two ahead to make sure that he doesn’t run into his own boat or random shoal (a lesson I needed to re-learn a couple of times during this game!).  Now that I have been reminded of how much fun this can be, I am looking forward to getting some additional boats painted up - AJ’s airbrush lessons  will come in right handy - and look at the scenario list which is available on the Dock Office FB HomePage.  If you are interested in torpedo boat actions of WWII, I would recommend that you join this FB page and checkout all of the resources available to help you run challenging scenarios or use a new type of boat.  There are a lot of really great ideas out there for you to take advantage of.  

It was a great bit of fun in an otherwise barren gaming season this spring and summer. Thanks to AJ for the great airbrush tips and for a really fun game. I look forward to the next game on the high seas!

No comments: